Of all tales, impressions, & experiences, only Experiences are the key to success.

Thursday, September 11, 2014

SEA2014: Day 5: From Yangon to Mandalay

Arriving in Yangon Airport was my sign to show that SEA2014 had really started. After checking by border control and getting my Visa accepted (be sure to do this in advance, back home you pay €25, while here you're expected to pay around $50 in cash -with plain dollar bills that are not accepted if wrinkled), I took a cab to the city. Although I was not planning on staying in Yangon for more than a day, I knew it was going to be a good one as I was going to meet up with Wim, a good friend of mine I got to know via AFS in Belgium and whom is now temporarily working in Yangon/Myanmar.



Once I got to my hotel, I was awaited by this fabulous (and at the same time extraordinary) guy and I barely had the time to put my stuff in my room, giving him my 'belgian gifts' being a Cara Pils and an Orval beer, as we headed straight for an Ice Bar. That's right an Ice Bar while outside its 30°C. Everything is possible in Asia.

Basically Wim and I had a great evening enjoying the Myanmar Beer (that's actually the name) chatting up and enjoying a Birmese barbecue, where they put whatever you want onto a barbecue. Extremely good and cheap as well, just the way I like it. The next morning I enjoyed a great breakfast and Wim went to take care of his meetings for the day.

In the afternoon, we tried reaching the Ministery of Immigration to get Wim's passport issues arranged. Well, it took us two hours to get there. The crazy/funny/annoying/frustrating (chose at least 3/4) part of Yangon is that no motorcycles are allowed in the city, meaning that there are traffic jams all over the city. This means that instead of 10-20mins to get anywhere, takes you about 1-2hours to get you where you want to be. Moreover, all of a another monsoon rain hit us and we were obliged to close the car's windows to not drain in it. Instead we were boiled alive as with 34°C and 65% humidity, you basically die without a fresh wind blowing through the car. Once we found the Ministery, we got there after it had already closed down. Heading back to the hotel, also taking us about 40mins, I decided that if I wanted to make it on time to the bus station that evening, I would leave at least 2,5hours before my bus left.

So be it. I had done some more research and decided that my next stop would be Inle Lake. Unfortunately I got to the bus station (trains in this country are not take seriously as they're always up to 10hours late, so don't try them) too late. Instead I got a good deal for a bus ride to Mandalay. For 18500Kyat (€14) I got on a JJ Express bus, which would bring me to this city in 9hours straight. I had heard that travelling by bus in Myanmar can be a struggle, which is why I wanted to travel with this company. I wasn't disappointed. For just a couple of euros more I received a high quality bus, with private tv-screen, food service, blankets and even a free gadget!


Getting to Mandalay at 6AM, being a bit groggy from the bumpy ride, I had breakfast at the 'typically Asian' bus station. Meaning, a lot of rubbish everywhere, people in, on, between and around this rubbish and some food stands wherever you might think might be a garbage dump.

[image_1]

Getting to the city was another issue. Luckily I met a nice student, who in his free time would try to guide around tourists to improve his English. He drove me to the AD-1 Hotel, where I ended up paying €12,5 per night. Cheap yes, but quite expensive if you think about how everything else in this country is so cheap. The quality is hostel-like, but I had my own air conditioned (this is a must, trust me) twin bed room and private bath room. Afterwards I was told that this hotel is probably the best deal you can have in town.

Having settled down, I freshed up and left to explore Mandalay and its surrounds. More about that next time.

peace out_

[NOTE: Unable to upload more pictures nor add weblinks from this location, will add soon.]
posted from Bloggeroid

No comments: